Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chunky Pizza/Spaghetti Sauce (to can)

This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever had. I got the recipe from a friend several years ago. I stopped in at her house when she was making it & it smelled SO wonderful I had to have the recipe. I've been making it ever since & everyone that I serve it to or give a jar to loves it.

1/2 bushel tomatoes
3 lb. onions, chopped
3-5 hot peppers, chopped (remove seeds)
6 bay leaves
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 C vegetable oil
2 C vinegar
4 12 oz. cans tomato paste
1 1/2 C sugar
4 tsp. paprika
4 T basil
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 C salt
4 T oregano
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper
4-8 (I use 10-12) heaping T cornstarch, to thicken as desired

Cook & juice tomatoes. Chop onions & peppers & saute until soft. Add to juice. Add oil, vinegar & tomato paste. Mix together sugar, spices & cornstarch. Add to juice mixture. Cook until thick. Ladle into jars & cold pack 5-10 minutes. Yield: 26 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment